Tuesday, July 23, 2013

FINE ART AMERICA ... learning how to sell art.



I recently signed up for FINE ART AMERICA. This web site, at first glance, seems to enable an artist to easily upload photos and set them up for sale. I, myself, am currently undergoing the process of adding some of my work to this hub of creatives and so far it seems straight forward enough.

Add photos and set your base price ... they will do the rest. So from what I understand the fee the customer will pay ends up being the sum of the following values: first what you, the artist, decides as the base price then the site's fee and then, if the customer so chooses, the added price of the frame or desired print method (this is my take on it).  You, the artist, will only earn a small part of that total price tag. That aside, the best thing is the convenience of not having to deal with the whole process of printing, framing, packaging and shipping ... and THAT'S pretty cool, I'd say. Plus, as my friend put it, it never hurts to put something that's laying around, doing nothing, to do something for a change.

I'm actually really impressed that one guy (Sean Broihier, READ INTERVIEW) made the whole thing and that he's still the only developer involved. There's a tone of cool photos, illustrations and sculptures from a plethora of artists in all skill levels. A lot of high quality work. Feel free to check some of my photos out as well. Cheers!

PHOTO GALLERY